Kultivate’s Marketing & Social Media Coordinator, Jessi, is back with another SL Etiquette 101, this time she discusses regifting:
Welcome to another helping of SL Etiquette 101! This time I am going to discuss regifting. Regifting occurs in real life and with the popularity of gachas, it occurs in Second Life as well. So should you regift or not? Consider the following points:
- Would you want someone to regift an item that you gave them?
- What will you do if the person who gave you the gift finds out that you regifted it?
- What will you do if you accidentally regift the item to the person who gifted it to you in the first place?
These 3 key points are things you should strongly consider before regifting something that is transferable in both worlds.
Situations do exist where regifting would be perfectly ok. These include:
- White elephant gift exchanges or Yankee swaps. If you are taking part in these two games, then it is ok to regift the item, providing that the person who gave it to you is also taking part
- If the item is a gacha item and you already have several of the same item, you can politely thank the person who gave it to you and regift it to someone else, after all you do have copies of the item in your inventory
- If someone you know really wanted an item that you were given and they do not have the money for it or if you know that one item will brighten someone’s day, providing they are going through a hardship in either world, then it is ok to regift
Should you notify the person who gave you the gift that you are regifting?
In certain situations, yes you should let the person know you are going to regift the item, especially if #3 in the above section occurs.
Always remember when regifting to do the following:
- Never use the same box or packaging
- Never regift in the same group of friends
- Do not regift items that were made for you or are meaningful
- Do not regift items that were given to you on a special occassion
Until next time!